Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Are You Adventurous On Holiday?

In early 2008 Julian and I went to Thailand for a month. This was my first overseas holiday. I was born overseas in UK but we left in 1994 when i was 6 years old (I'm now 27) and i hadn't been outside Australia since.
I was quite anxious about travelling overseas but i was able put that aside as i was with Julian and he had traveled a bit when he was in the Navy. Once we were actually in Thailand that anxiety vanished and suddenly we were doing all kinds of adventurous activities like white water rafting, holding snakes, shooting ranges, snorkeling and so much more.

Snorkeling was a big deal to me as I'm scared of deep water. As teenager i was taken out by a rip past the waves. I couldn't get anyones attention, i don't think they could see me. I was getting tired as i could not reach the bottom. I'm so lucky i was with a friend and she went back to shore and found a man with surfboard to come get me. Julian and I went kayaking once and i made us stay near edge of river so i could see the bottom of the water. Look at me sharing all my secrets

Back to the holiday. . . We went on a tour and part of it was feeding the elephants. The tour guide asked who would like a elephant massage... a massage from an elephant... seriously?! No one would do it but for some reason i stood up and went for it. I laid on the ground and waited for this enormous animal to do his thing. Amazingly the elephant gently tapped his foot along my back, so softly. He also then sucked my arm - apparently an elephant kiss.

What's the most adventurous thing you have done on holiday??

I have my eyes tightly closed and i was laughing... a lot. Nervous laugh perhaps?!

The Kiss

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paragliding in Austria. I thought the guy was doing tricks and yelled out WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO. When we landed he called me crazy, the parachute collapsed part way through. The rest of the arvo was cancelled because of the winds! - Krystle

Lime & Mortar said...

WHAT! Geez that could have ended bad. He should have gone with 'yeah it was a trick' haha

Anonymous said...

I swam with the sea turtles in Hawaii! That was pretty cool... no way would I lay under an elephant though! eek!

Chesterfieldbythesea said...

Oh wow, I think I would be too scared to lay under an elephant! They are very gentle natured though. The most adventurous thing I have done is gone parasailing in Hawaii. It was so windy that my other half had motion sickness and they still kept turning the jet boat suddenly so we could plummet down under the water and then back into the air. I have video evidence which is absolutely horrific (yet hilarious at the same time)!

KL said...

I allowed my 12 yo son to paraglide in Bali. It all happened so fast and was over before I realised that it was ridiculously dangerous. Never again....don't think I'd lie under an elephant!

Unknown said...


Touring by motorbike in Thailand is the ultimate travel experience and we do our best to make your riding trip a lifetime experience. www.bigbiketoue.net

Post a Comment